Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy
MOTHER THERESA OF JESUS BACQ
Elisabeth Bacq was born on 16th September 1825. She was born and raised in Lutheran Protestantism but she was strongly influenced by her catholic relatives. By the witness of good example and influence of that catholic environment, she was inspired to convert to Catholicism. At the age of 14, Elizabeth received the sacraments of Baptism and First Holy Communion. After conversion to catholism, her devotion grew ever stronger toward the Most Blessed Sacrament and Immaculate Heart of Mary. This saintly woman at the age of sixteen made the vow of virginity, she was fully determined to maintain it in order to belong solely to Jesus Christ and to God. Self denial and humility are the two great virtues upon which she built her whole life. In 1843, at the age eighteen, sister’s name was changed to Mother Theresa of jesus as a sister of the Assumption, Mother had an inspiration to found a Marian congregation: “sisters of Our Lady of Mercy.” She founded this congregation in Nancy. Paris in 1887. The purpose of this Institute is stated: “we are called to embrace the works of mercy with the purpose to free the human and spiritual slavery that keeps us away from God. In a special way we are to glorify jesus’ life in Mary and always for Mary.”
Indeed; our foundress had a strong faith and a missionary spirit. Her model of service is still an icon in service of the Merciful Love of Jesus.
After suffering many trials, she died in Paris on June1, 1896. Mother Theresa of Jesus Bacq became a servant of God: on April 8, 1991 in Rome. Her cause for beatification is now in process.
The Spirit of our religious family is Marian. That is we glorify Jesus with the study and imitation of the humble and hidden virtues practiced by Mary during her life.
Our goals are to bring to the world God’s Merciful Love through:
Practiced by Mary during her life.
· Weekly Adoration before the Blessed Sacraments
· Daily Mass, Liturgy of the Hours, Meditation, Rosary. And daily Spiritual reading
· Monthly and annual retreats
“ The Charism of our Religious family, based on the redemptive loce of Chirst, is a gift of His merciful love. We propose to live in te church the ideal expressed by the words of jesus, “ the greatest love a person can have for his friend is to give his life for them.” ( Constitution N.4)
OUR APOSTOLIC ACTIVITIES
· Hospitals and Clinics
· Home for the Elderly
· Institutions for children
· House of Spirituality
· Pastoral activities.
REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN SISTERS OF OUR LADY OF MERCY
· Be a committed, baptized and confirmed and unmarried catholic young.
· Be a catholic young woman who sincerely wants to follow Christ in total, radical way, through the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience
· Recommendation letter from Parish priest.
· Baptism and confirmation certificate .
· Permission letter from Parents., ID card
· Posses a Malawi school Certificate of Education .
· N.B. Students in Universities, Technical Colleges and other institutions of higher learning can apply ,
· You can show your interest to join the congregation through your small Christian Community, your parish priest or visit place further details,
SISTERS OF OUR LADY OF MERCY,
OPPOSITE TO DOMASI PARISH,
ZOMBA – MALAWI